Kate's question about reading sequence...

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 7 01:38:07 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
February 6, 2010

So in summary, Kate, a sign reader sees the sign as a whole, reading
the handshape at the beginning of the stemline of the arrow first, and
following the arrow to the end of the arrowhead, and reading the
ending position, at the end of the tip arrowhead last. In the third
sign in your example, the reader reads the handshape at the higher
position of contact first, because that is where the handshape was
written, and then it is "assumed" even without an arrowhead, that the
same handshape, without change of handshape, touches down lower
second...

Overtime, we have shortened some writings because we are writing for
"everyday use", and researchers might want more detail...but everyday
reading doesn't need more information...

For example, in the third sign, which means DEAF in ASL, technically
that sign can be signed in either direction. If the signer signed it
starting with the lower contact and finished with the higher contact,
it would not be wrong...the direction is interchangeable and still
means the same thing, so that is why the writing is not more detailed
for everyday use, because it could be either-or....

So for your avatar research, I can certainly understand why you would
like to have more detail at times...

SignPuddle has a feature called the "SignSpelling Sequence"? It
provides the data that states which symbol is read first, second and
third, when searching for signs sorted by Sign-Symbols. That
information could possibly help you for your avatar research.

If you would like to learn about the SignSpelling Sequences, please
write again to the List and ask about it...

Thanks for your questions - and best of luck with your project -

Val ;-)