Request for help in videotaping sign languages

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jan 25 17:09:10 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
January 25, 2010

Hello Rachel!
THANK YOU for this posting, and everyone is quite excited about your
project, using SignWriting in the SignTyp crosslinguistic database.

And while I think of it, I believe you and Charles Butler are
presenting a paper about the SignTyp database, and about SignWriting,
at the TISLR conference at Purdue University in Indiana, in September,
2010? http://www.purdue.edu/TISLR10/

I just found a message posted by Charles to the List on September 22,
2009, asking for help with the videos too...so I can see now that this
request has been out there for some time...Thank you Charles, for this
message in September...(please see old message pasted below Rachel's
message below)...Have you received any responses yet? I believe Rachel
told me that there have not been many responses...

So everyone, here is the reason why we need your help...the SignTyp
project, at the University of Connecticut, is an important one for
many reasons. From the SignWriting perspective, it will be one of the
first times that SignWriting is used for a linguistic database for
sign language linguistic research in the US, and I believe it will
introduce many linguists to SignWriting for the first time..

And I am really impressed with SignTyp. One of the cool features is
that it will be providing multi-lingual information...different sign
languages will be in the database...

That is why we need YOUR help...Your group will be paid to provide
videos of specific signs in your sign language, and the SignWriting of
those signs, for the database...

Please write to the List if you can help us...I am hoping that videos
of German Sign Language, Flemish Sign Language, French-Swiss Sign
Language and others can be a part of the project...

We look forward to hearing from you!

Val ;-)

--------------

On Jan 24, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Rachel Channon wrote:

> Dr. Harry van der Hulst from the University of Connecticut and I are
> writing a grant application for a project that will expand the
> current SignTyp crosslinguistic database (http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/signtyp/downloads/
> ) and add SignWriting.  The goal is to create videotapes of signs of
> different languages and SignWriting transcriptions of these
> videotapes. The results of this work will be web-based dictionaries
> for each sign language as well as a research database.  Each
> dictionary will include pictorial descriptions of the concept,
> SignWriting transcriptions and glosses in both English and the
> language spoken in the same area as the sign language, and records
> for SignTyp, the research database.  The project should therefore
> provide material which will be useful to deaf people, to students of
> the language, and to researchers.
>
> We are looking for people who could find and videotape native
> signers of various languages. We would provide a word list (mostly
> as pictures), and we would be able to pay something to you and to
> the person being videotaped.  If you are interested or would like
> more information, please email me at rchannon at speakeasy.net.
>
> Rachel Channon
> University of Connecticut
> Department of Linguistics, Unit 1145