Signwriting Verbs - Aspect Modulations

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Mon Jan 11 09:50:16 UTC 2010

Dear all,
Following our conversations about VERBS - tense/aspect etc. I would like
to try something out.

In LSM I'm writing down, using signwriting (please find attached) the
following phrase -

CAR -Vehicle-classifier - MOVE.

1) I've changed the MOVE symbols for a few aspect modulations - I'm sure
there are many more (wouldn't it be great if we could list ALL the
movement patterns for our languages - maybe such work can be done using
signwriting).

2) This is a very typical sentence inLSM, and so the same pattern of
movements should be able to be added to any whole entity classifier
handshape (like ANIMAL,  PERSON, TWO-LEGS etc).

3) On Page 1: Signwriting - the hand moving to the SIDE  and on Page 2:
Signwriting - the hand moving FORWARD. These are two possible ways of
writing the same verbs - which do you prefer? (I personally find Page 1
much easier to signwrite and to read).

4) Would some of you be kind enough to signwrite this simple phrase and
the different movements in your sign languages - say BSL, ASL, German Sign
Lang etc?

Many thanks for your comments, opinions. If you don't have time to try the
verbs all out in your language, I would appreciate any other comments
related to this topic.

Regards,
maria