Preparing for SignPuddle 2

Mon Jan 18 15:17:26 UTC 2010

Hi List,

In February, I'm going to start the update to SignPuddle 2.  The primary
change will be the switch to the SignWriting Image Server.  For the user
interface, the new SignMaker and SignText will be most apparent.

On the back end, I'll be changing how I encode the data.  Instead of XML
and comma delimited data, I'll be using the open standard of Binary
SignWriting.  From a user's perspective, it doesn't matter how the data
is encoded.  From a programmer's perspective, the data matters a lot.

Last year, we had a nearly flawless transition from the previous symbol
set of the International MovementWriting Alphabet (IMWA) to the latest
symbol set of the International SignWriting Alphabet 2008 (ISWA 2008).

This year, we'll have the data change to Binary SignWriting.  I've
already written the conversion library and it appears to be working
great.  There is a single problem where people were using punctuation in
the spelling of a sign.  Punctuation should always be used by itself and
always in the middle lane.  The new data format and the new SignText
enforce the proper use of punctuation.

I'm pleased with how the conversion is working.  I've added new links to
SignPuddle 1.5 you can see at the bottom of a sign's detail: view and
analyze.  Links are provided for sign and sign texts.  The data can be
encoded in BSW or UTF-8.  The UTF-8 can be used with Unicode, but may
require 3 times as much data to send online compared to BSW.

The analysis page is very interesting.  It provides a readout of the
data.  It links every symbol to the ISWA 2008 HTML Reference Guide.  The
analysis is not meant for reading, but for analyzing the data.

Regards,
-Steve

SignPuddle.net

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu