Hello!!! Question about finger movement

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 1 00:34:51 UTC 2010

Write the new handshape only if it is not clear.

The point or v is used on the fingers that move, usually not the whole hand.  However, when people are writing quickly from a handshape that is clearly an entire cluster of fingers as a unit, sometimes a single v is sufficient.

ASL sign for "pity" only closes the middle finger and the second position does not need to be clear, as it really is a wiggle from open to close to open as the whole hand circles forward.

ASL sign for "fourteen"  the four fingers move as a unit.

ASL sign for "crab" has two fingers on each hand moving up and down in pairs that contact each other.

The point is that you are dealing with a "unit" of a single finger or a group of fingers, and don't need to show separate ones unless they are separately articulated.

With the dot, treat fingers in units of movement.  Here are several examples:

Disbelief (doubt)  the two fingers close as separate fingers.

Leao (lion) from Libras (Brasilian Sign Language) the fingers close one at a time starting with the little finger.

Milk (ASL),  the whole hand squeezes twice so the whole hand is considered as a unit.