Document Maker: signwriting

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Thu Jun 10 21:00:18 UTC 2010

Hi again Val,
I have a soft-spot for Document Maker because we produced quite a lot of
long documents with it and the work looks very nice and presentable :)
It's a great program especially the ease it has to simply drag and drop
columns straight from Puddle.

I actually do have Skype now - well it's installed because we had some
friends from the US over with us and they used it once to phone back home
- only i don't know how to use it yet. I'll see if I can at least purchase
the Adobe Acrobat Professional - because that would be useful for all pdf
files. I'll keep working for now in Microsoft Word. It would be good to
talk one day through skype - or do you think we might find a solution to
printing A5 paper in DocumentMaker if we talk, because if you think it
might help I could make that little effort and learn how to use skype.

Thanks again for your help.
Maria

> [...]
>> Maker, I don't have the option of 'Page Setup' only 'Print Setup'.
>>
>> I've spent quite some time now trying different ways of making this
>> happen
>> (trying to change settings in my Printer Driver, using Word Pad), and
>> the
>> only way i can print A5 is by previewing the pdf file, copying each page
>> separately and pasting into Word. However, even this is not ideal,
>> because
>> when i do so the resolution of the SignWriting is not as good as it is
>> when you print directly from Document Maker.
>>
>> The only solution I see right now is to use Word Document. It would be
>> good to have Adobe InDesign, but we don't have the funds for it. I'd
>> rather not use the trial for a month, because I need something I can use
>> long-term.
>>
>> Yes, I LOVE DocumentMaker because the work looks so neat! I can't make
>> the
>> signwriting look so neat when I use Word. AdobeInDesign seems to work
>> best
>> - The Gospel of John is also a beautiful piece of print work - and i
>> believe you used AdobeInDesign for this - so I can see it's great.
>>
>> Thanks for your help Valerie - I SO understand that there are no funds
>> improve Document Maker - and in truth I guess if other programs (such as
>> Adobe) work just as well as an improved version of Document Maker, then
>> it's best to use your resources elsewhere - rather than work on a
>> creating
>> a program that, in a way already exists.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> maria
>>

>>> SignWriting List
>>> June 9, 2010
>>>
>>> Hello Maria!
>>> Please see my answer below...
>>>
>>> ----------

>>> --------------------
>>>
>>> I am happy you like DocumentMaker, Maria. I only wish I had the funds
>>> fix the software a bit, so it worked better for both of us...
>>>
>>> You need to use "scale" and reduce the document to 50 per cent or 75
>>> per
>>> cent or whatever size is needed to reduce it to fit A5...
>>>
>>> And a lot depends on your computer's printer driver because the Scale
>>> feature is in different places depending on your computer...Here are
>>> some
>>> suggestions...
>>>
>>> 1. Under Scripts menu at the top inside DocumentMaker, choose Print A4
>>> rather than Print US Letter. Even though you do not want A4, and you
>>> want
>>> A5, at least A4 is a European paper size. This is more important than
>>> you
>>> can guess...here is a screen capture:
>>>

>>> 2. Once you have chosen A4, do your work. And before you print your
>>> document, choose Page Setup if you have that choice on your computer.
>>> Here
>>> is a screen capture of my Page Setup on my Mac. You can see I chose A6
>>> 50% scale. It may be that on your computer, with your printer drivers