spelling question

Sat Jun 12 20:56:31 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
June 12, 2010

Hello Stefan!
Thank you for your questions ;-))

Writing Full Body movement is not really a spelling problem from my perspective ;-)

It is simply another profession that is not really writing sign language. So writing a completely extended arm from the front view is not mentioned in SignWriting instruction books, because we have never really needed it in SignWriting, unless we are writing acting or theater where perhaps some mime or gesture is a part of the document.

So you can continue to write with the combined perspectives using SignWriting symbols you already know, and there is nothing wrong with that...I do that all the time -

Or...

 You can use some Movement Writing or DanceWriting symbols...(same thing ;-)...

As you know, when we have a finger that projects forward to the reader, we write that with a little dark dot. Well...the same theory applies for writing complete arms and legs straight forward...a large dot is placed at the shoulder joint or the hip joint to show that the leg or arm is straight forward...seen from the front view. A dark dot means that the arm or leg is straight, and the hollow dot on a limb means the knee or elbow are protruding towards the reader...so you could place a large dark dot at the end of the shoulder line for the arm that is straight out...see attached...this tells me that your left arm is straight forward and your right arm is moving back towards the shoulder...if you need to state what the handshape is of the straight arm, you can place the handshape to the side of the dot, or if you just want a relaxed hand, you do not need to write any handshape near the dot - we assume the hand is relaxed without any particular shape, unless you write it...hope this has helped - Val ;-)