Binary SignWriting revision 3 update

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 17 13:32:53 UTC 2010

Excellent.  This is very easy to follow.  Now how do you manage to get the signs into your write-up the same size as Roman letters?  That's the kind of interaction we need for the proposed SignTyp presentation.  This seems to be parsed with the graphic being dropped in as easily as a Roman alphabet and Arabic numeral.

Charles

________________________________
From: Steve Slevinski <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Thu, June 17, 2010 9:14:40 AM
Subject: Re: Binary SignWriting revision 3 update

Hi Charles,

The markup for polar works the same as the cartesian.  Each sign is
written on its own canvas (or grid).  Each canvas has a defined
center.  The relative position of the symbols to each other is
determined by the writer.  The position of the sign as a whole on its
canvas is determined by centering rules.

Each markup will use 3 letters to represent lanes: L, B, and R.  L for
a left lane sign box.  B for a middle lane sign box.  R for a right
lane sign box.  Each of these letters signifies the start of a new
canvas.  Consider the example I included:

B330°16129°14 B169°21252°680°1119°21

There are 2 signs, both in the middle lane.  To use different lanes,
change the B's for L's or R's.  Such as...

L330°16129°14 R169°21252°680°1119°21

The first sign is now in the left lane.  The second sign is now in the
right lane.

Both polar and cartesian coordinates are equivalent forms and represent
the exact same data from a different point of view.

In my opinion, the cartesian markup is much easier to use.  The polar
markup requires the use of trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean
theorem.

It will take experimentation to determine if one markup is more
meaningful or useful as a whole.

Regards,
-Steve