SignWriting Report: Erika Hoffman, Anthropological Linguist

Sat Mar 13 01:47:57 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
March 12, 2010

SignWriting Report
From Val's Desk

A Visit with Dr. Erika Hoffman-Dilloway, Anthropological Linguist

Part 2: Audio Recording SignWriting History (Part 3 continued next email message)

Erika plans to use SignWriting for a series of journal articles and also for new and old research projects...To accomplish these projects, Erika first asked if I could tell SignWriting history in my own words, for an audio recording. So for the first few days of our week together, Erika used her own audio recording device to record what i said, and I had a great time thinking back and remembering the history. It was like re-living all those exciting times, trying to invent something new in Copenhagen and watching SignWriting blossom over the years with all the wonderful people involved and I told each story the best I could remember, and then Erika kindly let me have a copy of the audio files...so if we wish, we could transcribe the English into a history document that could be, with editing, a resource...

Erika's audio recording device could also take video....Here are two photos taken from the videos, during the audio recordings: