Exporting from SignPuddle

Jonathan y Yolaine joyoduncan at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 15 04:27:40 UTC 2010

On 14/05/2010 7:57 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Import / Export needs revamped.  I am working on SPML (SignPuddle
> Markup Language) which will cover all of the information available in
> SignPuddle.  Perhaps you can review and comment when I have it ready.
I'm looking forward to it.  Let me know when it is ready.

> SignMail...  Needs an update.  I may add it to SWIS.
>
> BSW will be the standard for SignWriting data.  SPML will use BSW hex
> data rather than BSWML or the build string.
What is BSWML ?  Binary Sign Writing in XML?  Will SPML use BSW in
converted to it's hex string value instead of the raw binary value? Or
maybe my question should be will the SPML be a text file or a binary
file? I am assuming on the former as xml doesn't directly support binary
formats.
> Implementing BSW shouldn't be too hard.  SWIS contains 2 separate
> working implementations; one in PHP and another in JavaScript.  As
> long as you can understand regular expressions, it should be
> relatively easy.
>
> Keep up the good work on the Studio.  Sorry to force updates with the
> standards.  The ISWA 2010 is really worth it and it will be stable for
> a long time to come.  BSW is really superior to the other formats and
> it is UTF-8 compatible.
I was all happy to upgrade to ISWA 2010 until I remembered last time I
had to upgrade from IMWA to ISWA 2008.  I'll basically have to recreate
my database tables with the new symbols.  I also had the hand symbols
categorized by feature, which I had to review anyways.  Good thing that
ISWA 2010 is frozen for a decade.  This will permit us to focus more on
the interfaces and less on the upgrading symbols every so often.  I
don't have a lot of SignWriting data yet so I won't have any conversion
issues.
     When do you plan on changing the Puddle to ISWA 2010?

> Here's a truncated BSW primer...
>
> Each character of BSW can be represented by a single ASCII token:
> # B = SignBox Marker
> # L = Left Lane SignBox Marker
> # R = Right Lane SignBox Marker
> # h = Hand Symbol
> # m = Movement Symbol
> # d = Dynamic Symbol
> # 1 = Head Symbol
> # 2 = Trunk Symbol
> # 3 = Limb Symbol
> # n = Number Character
> # Q = Sequence Marker
> # s = Sequence Symbol
> # P = Punctuation Symbol
>
> An entire sign text can be validated with a single regular expression:
> ([LBR]([hmd123]nn)*(Q[hmd123s]+)?|P)+
>
> We can even evaluate a SignSpelling Sequence to determine if it is
> regular. Q[h*(md)*]+[123s]*
Good work.  Thank you for explaining it.  I just understood why the you
used the tokens.  I wish I had thought of that!!! Good work!

--

Jonathan Duncan
email: duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca <mailto:duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca>