Introduction of the newbie

Thu May 6 16:29:20 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
May 6, 2010

Hello Jameel!
Very happy to meet you, and thank you for this introduction. It does help to know about the details of your project, which sounds like a very useful one...Thank you for the effort you are making to improve video annotation using SignWriting, and it will be great if you keep us informed and send us your links when the time comes.

One piece of trivia for you...

The name "SignWriting" is the name of our writing system (with an ing at the end), but the name "SignWriter" with an "er" at the end, is the name of different computer programs that use SignWriting...for example:

SignWriter Apple //e and //c
SignWriter DOS
SignWriter Java
SignWriter Python
SignWriter Tiger
and the new SignWriterStudio

are all computer programs...

But the actual writing system has the "ing" at the end: SignWriting...

So this will help your project, with you use the name "SignWriting"...

very small trivia I realize!!

And as i am sure you know, we also have other software called "SignPuddle" which has a very unique name which is helpful!

And did you know about Steve Slevinski's SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin? Steve, the developer of SignPuddle, is working on the SignWriting Image Server, Binary SignWriting, and the ISWA HTML Reference Guide, plus a new program that is still under development: the SignWriting Media Wiki Plugin...You probably already know this, however...but if not, here are some links to visit on the web:

International SignWriting Alphabet 2010
HTML Reference Guide
http://www.signbank.org/iswa

Binary SignWriting 2010
HTML Reference Guide
http://www.signbank.org/bsw

SignWriting Image Server 2010
Open Font and Rendering Software
http://www.signbank.org/swis

More information on wikis and SignWriting:
http://www.SignPuddle.net

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle

And did you know that there are others programming using SignWriting in South Africa? There is an Avatar project that we have been testing on the List, programmed using SignWriting, from South Africa...perhaps you know about the other work being done in South Africa with SignWriting? I can put you in touch with each other if you would like...

Val ;-)

---------

--------