LREC 2010 conference and future SignWriting software

machado at SOFTWARELIVRE.ORG machado at SOFTWARELIVRE.ORG
Fri May 28 00:37:26 UTC 2010

Quoting Valerie Sutton <writesignlanguage at GMAIL.COM>:

> SignWriting List
> May 27, 2010
>
> And I am trying to think who Carlos is...and I know nothing about
> Dasher, so I am looking forward to learning more..
Hey, there!

That Carlos would be me.
Actually, i've presented the same project i was working on almos 4
years ago, when a had to "pause" it due to my proffesional positional
back then.

You could learn a lot about Cambridge's Dasher PRojet through its home
page[1].

But my point is not really dasher itself. My point is that we could
benefit a lot from inference prediction when writing w/ SW to ease
writing from people who matters: dayly sign language users.

I believe that allowing "real" sign language users is (one of) the
best way of building meaningfull written sign language corpora. Not
depending on video recognition/annotation(tough i recognize the
fabublous work some reserarch groups have done so far).

I'm sorry that i have never realised the conference has not been
really sound publicized in this list.

It  was really great to meet Maria and Tim in person(sadly, i can't
remember to have had a conversation with Nedelina).

I believe that LREC, TISLR and a few other conferences may provide
excellent enviroment for us to present SW(even when it seems that it
is not the prefered notation for some applications or  researchers)

Hoping to give you great news in  this list in the next few months,

Machado