Signwriting: Preparing a sign for a new word - Help needed.

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Sat Oct 2 01:35:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 12:57:07AM +0000, Thor Malmjursson wrote:
>    Hi. My name is Thorsteinn, and I am an editor with Wikipedia.  Some of you
>    may be aware that proposals are underway for the preparation of a
>    Wikipedia in ASL using the Signwriting system.  I am also proposing that
>    we use that same system to prepare and publish a Wikipedia in British Sign
>    Language (BSL) - however, having had a look through SignPuddle online,
>    I've encountered a problem.
>
>    From what I can see, there is no individual sign for Wikipedia, and I'm
>    not sure how to make one specifically to identify it.  I've spoken with
>    someone else on this list, who suggested that fingerspelling signs
>    wouldn't be great for the purpose, and that I post the question to this
>    list for advice on how to prepare a sign to denote Wikipedia.
>
>    What I would like to ask is whether the community know of any sign you use
>    to identify Wikipedia, rather than fingerspelling the word, and if so, how
>    we would convert that to a SignWriting sign/icon.
>
>    Any help you can provide with this would be gratefully appreciated.
>
>    Yours, Respectfully,
>

>    Thorsteinn A. Malmjursson
>    Editor, English Wikipedia

Hello Thor,

Here is my suggestion:

http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4&sid=10932&search=Wikipedia&type=any

It is a portmanteau of the letteral W and Encyclopedia.  I'm not
certain this word isn't already taken, but it has the benefit of
being concise and featuring a recognizable W hand --The W can be
both 'wiki' and 'write.'

I invite improvement to this word.  If you'd care to, please play
the Perfection Game and tell me how to make it better:

  http://c0redump.org/core_protocol/perfection_game/

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi