AW: The graphemes of SignWriting

Thu Oct 7 17:54:39 UTC 2010

  Hi Charles,

On 10/7/10 11:15 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> One might want to consider adding to the artistic center a discussion
> of projecting any connection points in a computerized version of
> signwriting.
> Currently the system of grapheme placement is onto a 2-dimensional
> grid. The earlier version in the SignWriter DOS system had 8
> connections to a particular grapheme before allowing for extreme
> fine-tuning. I know that some programmers are working on disallowing
> fine tuning and reducing computer-generated grapheme clusters to
> radial positions at 45 degrees.

The document I'm writing only deals with the symbol set and does not
cover sign structure or sorting.  The idea is to get everyone using the
same symbols in a standard way.  This document will eventually be
included in the initial Unicode proposal.

When the time comes to write the second Unicode proposal that covers
sign structure and sorting, I'm hoping other encoding ideas will
progress far enough to compare with Binary SignWriting.

Regards,
-Steve