TISLR

Sun Oct 3 16:33:50 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
October 3, 2010

Hello Charles and everyone!

I am sooo glad you enjoyed the TISLR! And that you saw so many people - terrific! And I am really impressed and happy with the poster presentation on SignTyp and SignWriting that was presented at TISLR by you and Rachel Channon from the University of Connecticut. Thank you to you both for your hard work on that project.

Yes, typing fingerspelling in vertical columns would be a wonderful feature in any computer program. The old SignWriter DOS program can only type fingerspelling from left to right like English...

Regarding the older program....Anyone is welcome to use SignWriter DOS right now...just use DOS BOX on either Mac or Windows, and SignWriter DOS works on modern computers...You can download it for free on the internet.

Richard Gleaves and I worked hard on the development of SignWriter and certainly loved the keyboarding we developed together, but there was never any mouse action in SignWriter - there is literally NO capability to use a mouse in any SignWriter program, whether it was SignWriter DOS, SignWriter Java or the old SignWriter for the Apple //e and //c.

When we switch countries in SignWriter DOS, it is always done through the keyboard...the entire thing is keyboarded, with NO mouse.

The reason I do not personally use SignWriter DOS any longer? Because Lucinda O'Grady Batch and other Deaf people who are members of our Deaf Action Committee (DAC) requested that we write down in vertical columns, and that is what we have with SignPuddle software by Steve Slevinski, and with other programs such as the new SignWriter Studio by Jonathan Duncan, that is not ready yet but is coming...I know Steve would love to add keyboarding to SignPuddle someday...it is just a big job to program that, and meanwhile some people love using a mouse to drag and drop - not everyone loved keyboarding, by the way...only some people do - I used to get complaints from some people that they didn't want to learn to type and preferred a mouse, back before SignPuddle was developed...so since people think and work differently it would be nice to have BOTH options...

So what we really need is to combine the old with the new...we need the keyboarding of SignWriter DOS and Java, with the vertical columns of SignPuddle - and then we are set - ha!

Meanwhile, if you want to use SignWriter DOS or Java right now, I can help you set it up on your computer so you can keyboard again if you prefer...it doesn't use the up-to-date symbols of course - that is another drawback, darn it...

Welcome home, Charles - smile -

Val ;-)