AW: AW: cannot reach SignPuddle with Firefox but with Explorer

Thor Malmjursson lightningstrike35 at LIVE.NL
Sat Oct 9 00:05:11 UTC 2010

Hi Valerie :)

I will be honest with you, from the error Stefan is receiving, it mentions a proxy on the local ISP. Sometimes when the proxy gets overloaded, it can need to have the ISP clear its own cache.  It doesn't look like a Software problem with SignPuddle itself, rather an issue with firefox.  From the UK, osnanet.de and its servers look fine.   I'm still looking at it though, and I'll get back to you and Steve as soon as I find anything out.

Hi Stefan :)

This is really long, and I'm sorry for that - i've broken it into sections,  but sometimes you can't explain technical stuff, without getting technical :)

******************************

I am really at a loss as to what is causing the issue.  One more thing you could help me with, can you tell me from the time you enter the URL for signpuddle and click to go to the site, how long does it take before you receive the error?

First though, clear your cache and the whole browser history from firefox - as Steve Slevinski mentioned.  Go to Tools > Options > Advanced and click the Network tab in the small window.  There is a part marked "Offline Storage" - click "Clear Now" at the side to empty the whole cache.

In that same box, you will see an area marked "Connection"- click the "settings" button, and look at the box which appears.  If anything other than "No proxy" is selected, change it to "No proxy" and select "OK".  Close firefox, reopen it and try again to access the signpuddle.

An alternative option is to try to run firefox from the command line (I assume you run windows - if not, please let me know) - open your command prompt, and go to the folder where the firefox.exe file is stored. Type firefox.exe -P   : this will start firefox without a local profile, so all the settings will be default and unedited.  Try to get to signpuddle from this copy of firefox.  If you can, please let me know :)

As a last resort, if you are allowed to, remove firefox 3.6.10 and downgrade to an older version - you can get firefox 3.5 here >> http://www.oldversion.com/download_Mozilla_Firefox_3.5.html

After installing it, if you're prompted to upgrade it, don't :)

Greetings to you both, and best wishes.

Thor