NEW SPECIAL FEATURE POSTED ... Beautiful Brazilian Dictionary

Thu Sep 2 14:17:48 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
September 2, 2010

Dear SW List:
Fernando sent this message to the List yesterday, but it did not post to the List because of a technical reason, so here is his message to us about the new dictionary. Thank you, Fernando!. Val ;-)

From: fernando capovilla <fcapovilla3 at gmail.com>
Date: September 1, 2010 3:29:48 PM PDT
To: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
Cc: SignWriting List <SW-L at listserv.valenciacc.edu>
Subject: Re: NEW SPECIAL FEATURE POSTED ... Beautiful Brazilian Dictionary

Dear Valerie,
Thank you so very much for the outstanding and generous posting of our new Brazilian Sign Language Dictionary.
I am deeply grateful to you for helping us to spread the good sign about it.
Some good news:
1) The first edition (5,000 kits each made of 2 volumes with 2,459 pages) has been almost sold out. So 30 days ago we have prepared the second edition with additional 600 signs, which is going to print next month. The ministry of education is to print at least 30,000 kits to be distributed to the Brazilian deaf students nationwide. We are currently preparing the third edition which is to contain additional 10,000 signs from all Northeast and South states of Brazil. SignWriting is to be used more and more.
2) We have completed a new phase of our 15-year research program with a new series of studies regarding the incidence of cheremic paralexias and cheremic paragraphias and their relationship to sign sublexical morphemic structure (as well as of orthographic paralexias and paragraphias and their relationship to orthographical lexicon) in Brazilian deaf school population (8,000 Brazilian deaf from 6-40 years of age from all geographical regions), and the findings are astonishing. We have also adapted all major national reading assessment tools to Brazilian Sign Language, and have examined with factorial analyses the contribution of a number of linguistic competencies to school and test performance (including word decoding & recognition, speech reading skill, sentence reading comprehension, orthographic spelling accuracy, sign vocabulary). The hard data suggest the need to re-examine mainstreaming policies. In sum, a broad and detailed and comprehensive scope of evidences is being formed that is to allow the precise evaluation of SW as a tool for language and meta-language development of deaf students from 6-14 years of age. Let us keep walking.
Again, my gratitude for your constantly generous and impeccably efficient work.

Many true warm blessings,
Fernando Capovilla
fcapovilla3 at gmail.com