SignWorkshop OASLTA

KJ kjoanne403 at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Sep 28 02:40:34 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry you felt so bad about the presentation, but the problems you list were definitely there... I wanted to help out during the presentation but was afraid I might unintentionally take over.  At least you did get positive responses from a couple of people!

Saturday morning there was a brunch for early registrants and I was one of them.  I had brought some of the phone message pads from Pass It On Services, and when there were just three of us left at the brunch I started chatting with the others and showed them the message pads.  With absolutely NO information about how SW works, they both started getting words within a few seconds!!!  I was very impressed and they were both quite interested, so that was encouraging. :-)

I'm attaching some pictures of me and Charles at the workshop.
KJ

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles Butler
  To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:33 PM
  Subject: SignWorkshop OASLTA

  Well, I presented the workshop but I felt that I fell on my face for the following reasons:

  1) Too much information, too little time.
  2) Lack of vocabulary, all of the attendees were interpreters AND teachers of the deaf, and my vocabulary was inadequate to the task.  I should have asked for help from KJ or another interpreter at the beginning.
  3) I got positive responses from a couple of people, but the most common one was "how many people IN OHIO are using this system", "why should MY students have to learn anything else?"  Half of them maybe "got it" but the others just kept with questions.
  4) I should have simply linked to the website and gone from there as the website is informative, answers most of the common questions, and I could have had a Deaf Advocate actually talking to the group.

  Lessons learned, but I feel very small and inadequate right now.

  Charles Butler