the diagonal plane in SW

Fri Sep 3 16:54:50 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
September 3, 2010

Hello Gan and everyone on the List:

Yes, your statement is correct, but this would add more information:

"Sign languages do use the Front-Diagonal-Plane occasionally. SignWriting hand symbols are not written on the Front-Diagonal-Plane. They are always written parallel to the Wall or Floor Planes, and the Front-Diagonal-Plane information is written through the movement arrows."

An excellent example of this is the sign for AIRPLANE DEPARTS in ASL...the hands are written parallel to the Floor Plane, and the diagonal movement arrow gives the diagonal information: