Call for Paper - 2nd Sign Language Workshop @ WOCAL-7

Tue Aug 2 19:49:16 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
August 2, 2011

A message posted on the Sign Language Linguists List (SLLING) ... Perhaps someone on our SignWriting List will be interested in this workshop?... I know there are several List members writing sign languages from the African continent - Val ;-)

---------

From: "Rezenet Moges" <rezearcher at ERINAD.ORG>
Date: July 22, 2011 7:40:55 AM PDT
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Call for Paper - 2nd Sign Language Workshop @ WOCAL-7

It is with great pleasure that our committee is announcing a call for paper for 2nd Sign Language Workshop, associating with World Congress of African Linguistics-7 (WOCAL-7).

 The conference date of WOCAL-7 is August 20th through 24th, 2012 and the workshop will be one full-day on August 21st. This event will take place at University of Buea, in Cameroon, Africa.

 The workshop aims to foster international exchange and cooperation in African Sign Language and d/Deaf community research and to contribute to further development of the field.

 The workshop will be accessible for all people and we encourage African Deaf academics and Deaf community leaders to participate in the workshop and present their work. For the first time this exciting event is taking place in Africa, which is a unique opportunity for professionals, academics and Deaf community members in this part of the world to get together and share their experiences and expertise!

 The Sign Language Workshop aims to focus on (but not necessarily limited to) sign language description and documentation, deaf community development, deaf education, and the preservation of deaf cultural heritage in Africa. We also provide room for a focus on the Cameroon context. We welcome papers on:

 1) Sign language documentation and linguistic analysis

 2) Sign languages and gestures in social, cultural, and political contexts

 3) Emergence and development of sign languages and deaf communities

 4) Sign language in (deaf) education and interpreting training

 5) Cameroon Sign Language and the Cameroon Deaf Community

 Languages:

 International Sign is the preferred workshop language. Languages of the workshop include International Sign, Cameroon Sign Language, American Sign Language, French Sign Language, French, and English.

 Abstract submission formats:

 There are two options of submitting your abstract(s) in a different format. The conventional method is textual format, with max. 500 words and two languages are acceptable for typed-abstract submissions: English and French.  Secondly, the abstract submission may be translated in a signed language on a video format.  The maximum of a videotaped abstract should go up to 5-minute long. Acceptable sign languages for signed-translation video submissions are: American Sign Language, Cameroonian Sign Language, French Sign Language, and International Signs.

Please email your abstracts to SignLanguageWorkshopWOCAL7 @ gmail . com or use large-file web services--dropbox or yousendit--to send your videos.

 Important dates:

 The deadline of the abstract submission is on October 31st, 2011.

 Notification of paper acceptance will be on January 31st, 2012.

 For more information or other translations (en français, International Signs or American Sign Language (ASL)), please view the website of this event at http://wocal7.erinad.org

 If you have any question, please email to the committee at SignLanguageWorkshopWOCAL7 @ gmail . com .

 We will appreciate it very much if this announcement is circulated with your colleagues, students, d/Deaf communities or other universities, particularly those with interests of African Studies, Anthropology, Linguistics and International Development.

On behalf of the organizing committee,

Dr. Gratien G. Atindogbé, Dr. Goedele De Clerk, Sam Lutalo-Kiingi, Rezenet Moges, and Dr. Victoria Nyst

-----

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu