SignWriting Unicode update and a path forward

Mon Dec 12 15:26:33 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
December 12, 2011

Thank you Steve, for your detailed and clearly explained description of what is happening with Unicode today. I promised the Unicode group who is focusing on SignWriting that I would answer their questions today on their List, about how we construct movement arrows and new hand symbols, when using the ISWA 2010, so they can at least understand a little, that we have both pre-constructed symbols, such as the established hand symbols, movement arrows and facial expressions already built for us, and how we can build our own symbols at times, when we need to…with the ISWA 2010.

I still to this moment do not understand why our first proposal was temporarily accepted by those working with us from the Unicode group, and now all of a sudden it is back to the drawing board, but after reading your message below, Steve, I can see that you do understand it. Thank you for your clear explanation. It is a fascinating topic. And I feel hopeful...

In a phone conversation about a month ago, I learned from a Unicode person that the Korean script Hangul went through quite a time with Unicode. If I understood the story correctly, there are now at least four ways to use Korean in Unicode and that it was a nightmare for the Unicode committee members, because it was long ago that Hangul was placed into Unicode and they tried different theories and some theories had flaws. So I suspect the committee members changed their minds about what they accept into Unicode and what they don't, over the years…

The hardest part, I think, about Unicode, is that it is run by committees, and not all committee members can possibly know all the scripts they are placing into Unicode and so when they vote, they are coming from a different perspective, rather than from the perspective of knowing the script…they are seeing it from an international computer perspective and trying to make all the scripts of the world accessible in the technology of the current times...

So Charles, to answer your question…although there are ways to enter Chinese with Unicode, it is not a perfect solution nor is it ever finished - it seems that Unicode is an ongoing living breathing entity run by committees…and the people who use the scripts have to inform the committee members about the details of their writing systems ;-)

Val ;-)

-------

-----