AW: HONDURAS SignWriting Notetaking from Video using stick figures

Stefan Wöhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 31 00:28:42 UTC 2011

Hi Valerie,

interesting to me – he is writing from left to right -;-))

Stefan

  _____

Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Freitag, 30. Dezember 2011 19:05
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Betreff: HONDURAS SignWriting Notetaking from Video using stick figures

SignWriting List

December 30, 2011

Jonathan Duncan sent me this photo of SignWriting notetaking (handwriting)
written by a Deaf member of Jonathan's team, in Honduras. This writer
chooses to write stick figures with heads, just as they still do in Denmark

As you can see, SignWriting is used differently around the world. It began
as a full stick figure writing system and evolved into a system that
generally does not use stick figures
but this is not true for everyone -
stick figures are very sophisticated. They look like drawings but really, in
the case of SignWriting, are not, because this writer is writing Honduran
Sign Language from video as a language - The stick figure helps to anchor
the writing for some writers...Thank you, Jonathan, for sharing this photo