need help with svg in SignPuddle

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Tue Dec 20 02:42:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:54:34PM -0600, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Hi Ingvild,
>
> We can get this done.  Can you point to the source material?
>
> If the default ColumnMaker isn't adequate, I can help make something
> work.  I know that Alan Post has experience making SVG with
> SignPuddle data.  If he sees this, maybe he can comment.
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

I'll talk about my process, in the event it is useful.  I'm sorry to
report I don't have anything more convenient.  There are surely better
ways to solve the problem you're having, the solution outlined here
solves the problem I have.

I download the .svg file, which doesn't seem to be the problem here,
it seems that instead the question is how to convert this to a
bitmap at an appropriate dpi?

I'm typesetting my final document using TeX, which uses .eps files
(encapsulated postscript) as it's image format.  I use a program
called inksacpe to convert my .svg file to .eps (the underlying
library that does this is called Cairo, which I don't think is
relevant here.):

  $ inkscape -f file.svg -E file.eps

I do some intermediate processing, in part to compute the bounding
box so I can later scale it.  The method I use to determine the
size, orientation, and scaling factor are specific to my problem,
so I won't go over them.

I use the epsf package to render my final document, which is where
I do scaling from the size of the .svg file to the size as I want
it to appear on the page.  Here is an example TeX file demonstrating
that:

  \input epsf
  \epsfysize=1in\epsfbox[0 0 15 12]{technique.eps}
  \vfill\eject

In this case, My final render size is 1 inch, but my .eps file
(which was created from the .svg file) has dimensions 15x12.

Best wishes,

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du