our graphics quality is excellent

Wed Dec 28 15:44:29 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
December 28, 2011

Hello Everyone, and happy holidays again -

Thank you, Stefan and Bill, for your input…

And yes, Stefan, I too have been making PDFs of the SVG Refinement Font in SignPuddle  (that Adam Frost and Steve Slevinski gave us - thank you, guys!) and you are right - it makes a gorgeous PDF. On the Mac, creating a PDF is built into the printer driver, so it is really easy to create a PDF, and I am glad you found a way to do it on Windows too...

So SVG can be opened with SVG programs, or it can be saved as a PDF file…

And Bill, regarding GhostScript - it is funny you bring that up - I remember we used GhostScript years ago, here on this List, back before SignPuddle…but I don't think it is needed in this case, since saving the SVG Refinement as a .SVG or .PDF file seems to be working for high-end graphics. There may be other solutions though, other than GhostScript, for people who are not doing book publishing -

For those who are not familiar with all this, the SVG format is vector graphics, which is good quality graphics similar to TrueType fonts - Stefan and others have developed lovely TrueType fonts for SignWriting as well, but TrueType is harder to work with on the web so installing the SVG Refinement font was our way of handling vector graphics on the web -

What are the programs that can open SVG?

1. Inkscape
2. Adobe Illustrator
3. Adobe Fireworks
4. Web Browsers

But better yet…here is a web page that explains programs that can open SVG:

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/svg

With the proper plug-in, Adobe IN-Design, a program used for book publishing, can import .SVG, and I am guessing that is what happened with Ingvild Roald's group before - the people Ingvild worked with, requested SVG and they were possibly working with Adobe InDesign - so this is a book-publishing need...

Anyway - I love making PDFs too, of the SVG, and yes, PDF can be brought into Photoshop with no problems looking great -

I hope you all are enjoying your holiday week -

I noticed a lot of our List members are on FaceBook. Some of the Christmas cards this year, written in SignWriting, were posted on Facebook and not on this List -

Thank you for your cards everyone!

Val ;-)

---------