QUESTION: Can we write left-handed signing?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 7 20:15:45 UTC 2011

Bill,

I believe that you are right for works of public dissemination. In terms of
teaching an individual student to be able to write for themselves, I believe we
need to teach that they CAN, but that when they go to a dictionary, it is going
to be listed under the majority spelling.

We are teaching them HOW to write, not WHAT to write.

Charles

________________________________
From: Bill Reese <wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Mon, February 7, 2011 2:33:16 PM
Subject: Re: QUESTION: Can we write left-handed signing?

Val,

While it may be obvious that any one person is free to privately write
however they want (Leonardo Da Vinci was left-handed and his journals
were written in mirror writing), for any work that may be published or
widely distributed, using one way of writing would promote a wider
understanding of whatever is being written.

Many discussions on the list have been about how much of a written sign
is necessary to achieve understanding.  This idea of minimal writing
would seem to apply to establishment of that one way of writing so that
the issue of either left- or right-handed writing is not so much a
choice of one over the other, but rather that one way of writing is
simply all that's necessary.

Bill