Query on Handshape

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 24 13:20:39 UTC 2011

In reviewing the basic handshapes of the Ethiopian Manual Alphabet (actually a
syllabary), I found this handshape.

It's a variant of a D handshape where the three other fingers form a curlicue on
the thumb.

I am working with an Ethiopian Deaf man here in Virginia, and it is definitely a
unique handshape.

As it is in neither the 1 or the 5 handshapes in ISWA 2010, I'm not sure how to
teach it in terms of computer reproduction, as any rotation would have to be
manually created with that extra index finger added.

Drawing is easy, computer manipulation is not, and as it is an essential part of
the Ethiopian Sign Language, I'm stumped.

Charles