Brazilian TV Program features Novo-Deit Libras Dictionary

fernando capovilla fcapovilla3 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 11 05:45:56 UTC 2011

Dear Valerie,
Thank you for your kind message, and for posting the news.
I will try to explain briefly what I meant:
Over the last 20 years we have made strong efforts to establish research &
development programs for creating valid and standardized batteries for
assessing of a wide range of language competences. After examining more than
10,000 deaf students for more than 25 hours each, we have mapped parameters
of development of competences such as alphabetical reading &
spelling, speechreading skill and vocabulary, sign comprehension and
expression, cheremic awareness, morphemic awareness, working memory, etc. We
have used those instruments and parameters to compare the effects of a
number of variables such as school placement, language used as vehicle for
teaching, literacy acquisition methods and materials, etc. We have
discovered the best time schedule for literacy acquisition and articulation
between special education and mainstreaming, and we are working on public
policies of education based on that scientific evidence. We have covered a
wide range of subjects and fields, ranging all the way from the transparent
to the profound. In order to help deaf kids learn Portuguese we have
used all strategies conceivable, including taking advantage of the degree of
transparency in the orofacial-graphemic correspondences in spoken and
written Portuguese for helping cochlear-implanted deaf kids, all the way to
taking advantage of the deep morphemic structure correspondences between
Libras and Portuguese for helping congenital deaf kid read and spell. We
have come across beautifully significant effects that have been quite
encouraging. Also, we have documented thousands of fascinating phenomena,
such as cheremic paralexias and cheremic paragrafias similar to those first
described originally by Klina & Bellugi's The signs of language; and
Poizner, Klima & Bellugi's What the hands reveal about the brain. Now we are
finally getting close to the point we started dreaming of back in 1998, when
we first found out about SignWriting while struggling with HamNoSys and
Stokoe Notation System. We are finally getting close to be able to start
addressing the questions pertaining the analysis and mapping the effects of
SW upon cognition and language. We first had to set a number of parameters
straight so as to know precisely where we are. We have made encouraging
progress in that regard. We still have to finish the treatise, the
compendium, the new sign-retrieval system based on cheremes, and the 6
remaining volumes of the encyclopedia first, though. Yet, we are confident
we will manage to succeed in including a research lprogram devoted to
assessing the effects of a SW instruction program by 2012. We will keep on
working. Thank you very much for your kind enduring support. We have learned
a lot from you. Best warm wishes,
Fernando