how to order sign in SL dictionary - need link to paper

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 14 11:32:03 UTC 2011

Dear Honza,

I wrote you back extensively.

If you go to the SignPuddle and press "search by symbol", you will get a default
order by either handshape, movement, or facial expression.

Using handshape as the primary, I order by handshape by using the ordering
portion of the signpuddle in each sign.  This is a manual process so you can
choose what order you want the "Sign Spelling" to appear in.

If you press symbol frequency, all the signs come up by use of handshape, and
whatever order YOU have imposed.

I am working on the Brazilian and Ethiopian signpuddles to ensure a uniformity
of sign order.

Valerie should have a link to the order I worked with in Brazil in 2001, which
is the only one that I have seen that has been documented down to the movement
level. This entire field is brand new so you have every right to work with your
deaf population and discover what best works for you.

Valerie's system and mine are very close.

She can put my link on line to you with my 10 page paper on ordering signs.

Charles Butler