how to order sign in SL dictionary

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 28 14:13:38 UTC 2011

I follow generally the following (this is fine tuned looking at specific signs).
Using groups is logical not because they are ASL numbers, but because the
systematically go through which fingers are being used.  The point of an ordered
dictionary is "from one sign to the next, what is the least change necessary to
move to the next sign in order."

Group 1 is the single index finger as the articulator.
Group 2 is the single index finger and middle finger as articulators.
Group 3 is the single index finger, middle finger and thumb as articulators (a
very large group)
Group 4 is solely the four fingers, with the thumb across the hand (such an ASL
E or B)
Group 5 is all five fingers, if all five are used as articulators, starting with
the flat hand with all five fingers straight up, the one handshape that every
sign language, so far, uses.
Group 6 is the middle three fingers as articulators, or the thumb and little
finger as articulators.  ASL 6, Y, I are this group
Group 7 uses the ring finger by itself or touching the thumb
Group 8 uses the middle finger alone or touching the thumb alone. Note that this
group is not the same as Group 3 where the middle finger, thumb, and forefinger
are used.
Group 9 uses the index finger and thumb as the unit
Group 10 is solely the thumb.

Any Category can be skipped if it is does not occur in the sign

1) Handshape - using the 10 groups of signs
 - under handshape - take the handgroup and order it logically, at the moment it
is ordered historically as they were added.
- I tend to write straight fingers, then flexed fingers, then curves, then
contacts.  It used to be easy but with the multiple signed languages it has
begun to be a challenge.
- within a given handshape use rotations as the guide
      - handshape toward reader using dominant hand and rotations toward the
center (all eight)
      - handshape edge toward reader using dominant hand and rotations toward
the center (all eight)
     - handshape back toward reader using dominant hand and rotations toward the
center (all eight)
     - handshape face up (all eight rotations)
     - handshape edge up (all eight rotations)
     - handshape face down (all eight rotations)

Examples (from Czech) (within group 1)

(all examples using this orientation and rotation, first, right now, when you
search by handshape, they are all over the place).  START by adding this order
to your dictionary.  Even using one or two ordering directions will make it flow
logically, I tend to use handshape and orientation first, then see the small
differences with location, and then touch before movement.

 (index finger, toward reader, pointed up, no movement, touch at eyes)

 (index finger, toward reader, pointed up, no movement, two touches)

 (index finger, toward reader, pointed up, no movement, touch at nose)

  (index finger, toward reader, pointed up, movement up (however complicated, it
is still up and is still the first movement).

 index fingers toward reader, pointed up, movement down with emphasis, note
movement down comes before movement forward and back

 index finger, toward reader, pointed up, movement toward reader to the left

 index finger, toward reader, pointed up, movement toward reader to the left,
added eyes following hand direction of movement

  index finger, pointed up, movement toward reader to the center

 Index finger, facing reader, pointed up, movement toward reader to the center,
added eyes following direction of movement of hand

 index finger, facing reader, 45 degrees toward center, touching nose, no
movement. Note, compound sign follows first position.

MORE LATER - but work on handshape and orientation first, then movement, and
this should help get you started.

2) Head (location) clockwise starting at the top of the head (I would tend to
put location before any movement, I consider location before touch, you have to
know where you are.
3) Body (location) neck and then down the arms, down the body, waist, and legs
(this will need full articulation)

4) Touch (touch between), Strike (strike between), Brush (brush between), Rub
(rub between)

7) Straight movement
     - up and down (all 8 rotations starting with up) (double arrow) (8
rotations)
     - diagonal up (rare, but needs a place) 8 rotations (double arrow with line
or with spot)
     - straight out (single arrow) (8 rotations)
     - diagonal down (rare, but needs a place) 8 rotations (double arrow with
stem or spot) (8 rotations)

8) Curved movement (single)
     (we need more exploration here), going through logical pairs and looking at
order.

9) Curved movement (multiple), we need more exploration here.

10) Speed (this is last, but sometimes comes into play).