AW: SignWriting Handwriting and palm facing

Wed Jan 12 00:19:16 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,
all I can say my students developed in the meantime a pretty good competence
write SignWriting  by hand on the blackboard or on a sheet of paper.

Hi Erica - would you agree? - smile

They prefer using this slash for the palm facing parallel to the floor and
there is no confusion whatsoever.

Stefan ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2011 00:39
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Betreff: SignWriting Handwriting and palm facing

SignWriting List
January 11, 2011

Hi Charles -

I have changed this thread to "SignWriting Handwriting and palm facing"
since your question is about Handwriting?

There are several kinds of handwriting. There is the SW Printing, like block
printing for English, that is "perfect" or as close to the way we type or
publish ...so that kind of handwritten symbols does not use the slash
because it is trying to write the symbols by hand, exactly as they are
written by computer.

Then there is the handwriting for personal use - which is like a blend of
handwriting and shorthand... I like the slash for the palm facing parallel
to the floor, but you are not required to use it if you don't want to - it
was just a suggestion - after all, your handwriting is for yourself, so you
can read your own notes, so if you don't like the slash representing the
horizon line for palms parallel to the floor, then use another method for
quick writing of palm facing -

Have you seen our SignWriting Handwriting lessons on the web?...the slash is
not taught here:

SignWriting Handwriting
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/handwriting/lesson102.html

Of course none of this occurs in the current SignPuddle because SignPuddle
does not have handwritten symbols - they are symbols for computers and
publishing and that is a different experience... we do not have a slash
through the hand in the official "printing" of symbols in SignWriting, only
for handwriting or shorthand...

So just do what is best for you -

and handwriting symbols are not in SignPuddle -

Val ;-)

-------

On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> I am confused about the slashed hands in the lessons in Sign Writing. I
have been teaching handwriting, and the handwriting symbols have not usually
been taught with lines across them except as a shorthand for hands
horizontal rather than vertical.  Having a hand with a slash does not appear
in the current SignPuddle and so my Ethiopian students are likely to be
confused.  I use arrows to show directions where there are not other than
the four points of the compass.  The 45 degree plane is not very well
defined on handshapes, so this has really confused me.