QUESTION...Palm facing fingers pointing down

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 10 20:25:17 UTC 2011

That still does not answer the question, where does one put the thumb for the extreme orientation. By visualization it would belong on the white side of the palm for the extreme orientation, but that is reserved for a thumb sticking out at right angles. If the picture you put as an example had a thumb on it, where would you put it. the left palm clearly has the thumb sticking out to the left, but the right hand the palm is on the wrong side as it would be pointing toward the reader, not away from them.

Charles

________________________________
From: Adam Frost <icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: QUESTION...Palm facing fingers pointing down

I am going to try and see if I can answer your question, Charles, because Valerie is very busy these past few days tending to her mother. So, if I understand your question correctly, you are asking how can you write clearly, for example, if the right hand is facing outward to the right and make sure that it isn't mistaken for the left hand. Is that correct?

Since it is something that is rare in ASL at least, it is understandable that it can be confusing. I do know of a sign in Bangkok Sign Language that has such and extreme orientation of the hand, but I just can't remember the mean of the sign at the moment. ;-) The first writing is probably what your question is about how does one know if it is the left hand or the right hand with an extreme orientation.
The way that I would write it so that it would be more clear is by adding the arm line to it.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the earlier writing would be used because it is a sign that is known in Bangkok Sign Language. However, if it were an unusual occurrence that needs clarification, I believe the latter would be suffice.

I hope this help. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. :-)

Adam

Valerie, I am really confused here.