How to write complex signs?

Wed Mar 2 21:34:46 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
March 2, 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Olga Drozdenko wrote:
> I faced with the problem: I don't know how to write complex signs. E. g., a sign «an ill person» in ASL consists of two signs: first «an illness» and then «a person». So what should I do: write these two signs side by side or should be there any additional symbol?
> Olga from Russia

--------

Hello Olga!
I am so happy to get questions about writing signs...smile...

Here in the US, we call those "compound signs", because they are really like two signs, within one space....

For example, here are two compound signs in ASL. Because we write down in vertical columns, for SignWriting literature, we usually write the two signs close to each other, but down, with the first sign on top and the second sign directly underneath. See attached diagrams: