Heel of Hand for Five Fingers Spread

Mon May 2 22:45:17 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
May 2, 2011

Hello Claudia!
Thank you for this question. Here is the Flat Hand with Spread Fingers (see diagram below). The Heel of Hand symbol is another way to write the hand parallel to the floor. You can write the same position in two ways...using the Top View or the Front View. In the Front View, you see the Wrist, which we call the Heel of the Hand. The Heel of Hand symbols are old symbols that were brought back into SignWriting to help us write some positions that were hard to write. Both the Top View and the Heel of Hand are correct. You are not required to use either one - it is flexible: