ISWA 2010 for Implementers

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Tue May 3 20:39:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 03:24:17PM -0500, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On 5/3/11 1:43 PM, Alan Post wrote:
> >How do I convert the contents of the <term> tag into, say, a bsw
> >code?  If those codes are obsolete, which part of swis do I use to
> >display the glyph associated with this code?
> >
> Unfortunately, the BSW strings are obsolete. The process of Unicode
> standardization has forced me to rethink rich text elements of my data.
> Fortunately, I have been able to improve my strings without compromising
> on the ISWA 2010 or how we write.
>
> We are currently using 2 types of strings: ASCII & Unicode. Both types
> of string can represent the same data. The ASCII is stable and will not
> change.
>
> The Unicode strings are not finalized. The standard process is ongoing.
> We focused solely on the symbols of the ISWA 2010. We have popular
> approval, with a few points of contention. We will know more in the next
> few months. We are hoping for inclusion in the Unicode standard this
> year if we're lucky and next year if we're not.
>
> The preliminary Unicode strings are stable until Unicode approval has
> been achieved. At such a time, a future conversion may be required. The
> preliminary Unicode strings are used in the SPML files.
>
> For a sample of the strings involved, consider the "Hello world." entry:
> http://signbank.org/signpuddle1.6/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=663
>
> I took a snap shot of the development version for the SignWriting Image
> Server 2. This is the engine behind SignPuddle 1.6.
>
> Minimal SWIS 2 download without the ISWA 2010 images:
> http://www.signbank.org/swis2_min.zip ( 40 KB )
>
> Functional SWIS 2 download with 1 set of ISWA 2010 images:
> http://www.signbank.org/swis2.zip ( 12.7 MB )
>
> Additional font options:
> http://www.signpuddle.net/iswa
>

> If you use the SignPuddle 1.6 beta, you can see how SWIS 2 is being
> used. ColumnMaker shows many detailed examples.
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle1.6

Is there going to be a conversion utility from bsw to the
ascii/unicode representation?  (specifically ascii.)  I have
existing data in bsw that I would like to convert.

As well, I'm using the mediawiki swis plugin, any plans to
update that?

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi ku penmi gi'e du