ELAN and SignWriting - for Adam's presentation at Gallaudet this weekend

Thu May 19 18:18:48 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
May 19, 2011

Hello Adam, Claudia, Steve, Charles, Shane and Cherie -
I found some of the messages related to ELAN and SignWriting. They are pasted below. Scroll down and down. And thank you, Claudia, for your recent message about ELAN, which is very useful. Your message is also pasted below. The message by Steve Slevinski below explains how the new encoding of SignWriting into UTF8 will help, until the final version of SignWriting in the UCS is approved by the Unicode-related committees. So, Claudia, your point is well taken that a font could help with all the symbols of SignWriting available to the user of ELAN, but that would only give us a string of symbols, rather than writing in the proper SignWriting clusters. But in time, I am sure we can use ELAN for the real SignWriting clusters. The details have to be programmed with a special "SignWriting Plug-In" for ELAN is my guess, which Steve Slevinski, or other software developers, can design and program...

So below are messages related to ELAN and SignWriting....I hope this will help with your presentation at Gallaudet University this weekend, Adam -

Val ;-)