News handshapes in Brazilian Sign Language (LSB/Libras)

Mon Nov 14 16:36:18 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
November 12, 2011

Hello Madson, and Charles, and everyone -

Thank you for this message and for the attached photos and symbols. I am very happy that SignWriting is taught as a part of the course “Letras Libras”, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina". I am happy also to know that you have been using SignWriting for two years, and that you have created a study group in Minas Gerais - congratulations to you all as well, and please send my personal best wishes to all of your participants…

Someday, maybe your group can try to write an email in SignWriting, using SignPuddle for Brazil, sending it to our SignWriting List? That will be fun to read…. Are you entering signs and documents into the Brazilian SignPuddle online? I hope in time, your group can do that. It is free and always online. Each user can register a user name and password by opening the dictionary or literature files, and to the left there are a bunch of buttons…scroll down and choose Register to create your username and password. Then choose Login each time you work, so you get all the features:

Brazilian SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index3.html#sgn-BR

Now, regarding the many handshapes you list in your message….I included in the ISWA 2010 tiny symbol pieces, like individual finger lines, dots etc, so you can construct hand symbols, when you cannot find the hand symbol you need already pre-constructed for you… So I am happy to see that you are constructing the hand symbols you need and it looks like you understand the principles of the system well -

I will comment on each one of them separately, since they are all interesting… but please go ahead and use the symbols as you see fit. In SignPuddle, we hope someday to have a way to store your own "constructed symbols", so you can access them easily - right now you have to construct them each time you write with them -

So thank you for this message and I hope to analyze each symbol one by one -

I am sorry I am always running behind - I have good intentions to answer everyone immediately and then "life" gets in the way (smile), but I am here and eager for the discussions - smile -

More in time,,,smile...

Val ;-)

---------

-----