NEW Journal Article on SignWriting: Language & Communication Journal

Tue Oct 11 16:07:56 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
October 11, 2011

Here is the abstract, which I just copied from the web site. This article is about the SignWriting List...so you all have contributed in a wonderful way to the development of SignWriting, and to research that is ongoing...

-------

Writing the smile: Language ideologies in, and through, sign language scripts
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway

Abstract

This article explores the relationship between language ideology and script by detailing an emerging set of practices for writing sign languages. Though sign languages have often been considered un-writable, signers worldwide are increasingly producing written sign language texts using Sutton SignWriting (SW), a writing system originally developed for dance notation. After comparing SW to Stokoe Notation, a sign language script developed by a prominent sign language linguist, this article draws on texts produced by SW users, and the metalinguistic discussion of these texts on an email listserve, to demonstrate that use of SW allows its users to articulate and challenge dominant, and often tacit, ideologies about the nature of language and writing.

Highlights

► Small groups of signers worldwide produce written sign language texts using Sutton SignWriting. ► This article analyses texts produced by SW users and the metalinguistic discussion of these texts on an email listserve. ► Creating and discussing such texts helps users challenge dominant ideologies about the nature of language and writing.

Article Outline

1. Introduction
2. Mutually reinforcing ideologies of language and writing
3. Writing sign languages: a comparison between writing systems
3.1. Stokoe Notation
3.2. Sutton SignWriting
4. The circulation and discussion of Sutton SignWriting texts
4.1. Goldilocks and the Three Bears
4.2. The Cat in the Hat
4.3. Listserve discussions
5. Conclusion