Arabic Sign Language written in Saudi Arabia with translation software...

Wed Oct 12 15:45:36 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
October 12, 2011

Dear SW Listers!

Today I opened my email and received a gift from Saudi Arabia!

New research using SignWriting has been written in a paper and also a thesis, sent to us with permission to post to the List and on the web. I am very excited about it, and I am preparing the document for the web posting today. I hope to announce it  tomorrow.

But for now, I have made a snapshot of one page from the thick document to show you...

Arabic Sign Language sentences are written in SignWriting, used for a test of translation software.

I am so curious. I assume we read the SignWriting right-to-left to coordinate with the right-to-left writing of spoken Arabic? This is a new experience to see Arabic Sign Language written horizontally .....

THANK YOU to Mohammed AbuShaira for sending me the document, and thank you to the paper's author Ameera Masoud Almsoud for permission to post your research.

See attached Arabic Sign Language: