AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Mon Oct 17 15:21:39 UTC 2011

Just to chime in, as Stefan said, Mundbilder isn't meant to represent the
whole articulation of the word. It just represents what mouth movements are
visible on the face when signers using DGS perform signs. And, as he
mentioned, we found that these mouth movements were performed even by
signers who did not know the German word that might be assumed to be
associated with the movement - the movements were simply acquired as part of
the sign. One need not associate them with speech. As Ingvild and Stefan
have also noted, sometimes the part of the sign that appears on the face is
the element of that creates a minimal pair with another sign. So even in a
very pared down way of writing DGS, these mouth movements would be useful.
Yes, it would be very cumbersome to write all the heads for the whole
articulated German words using Mundbildschrift. But, as Charles notes, most
of those movements aren't visible and don't need to be written in Mundbilder,
which usually only needs to show a few heads.

--
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
Assistant Professor of Anthropology