null glyph?

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Wed Oct 26 23:53:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 01:44:44PM -0500, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I'll repackage my SWIS 2 development code this week.  It will
> contain some bug fixes and some of the new search routines.  Not
> ready for Github yet, but sometime before the end of this year.
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

After a hearty round of confusion on my part, I'm not longer certain
I'm running code different from what you're running; I'm at least not
running code that is substantively different.

I got tripped up on a pretty silly thing:

you print the final '</svg>' line and end the line with a '\r'.  When
I go to cat this file, my terminal will not display the final line,
as it is doing line buffering and we haven't used '\r' to be the end
of line since very dark days.  If I instead say:

  $ cat empty.svg && echo

I do get that final line, that final echo triggers my line buffering
to flush the final line.  It turns out that I uncovered an interesting
problem working on this:

  https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/721

But one that has nothing to do with SWIS or the generated .svg
files.  It has to do with interactive line-editing in a very
unrelated program.  I will ask, however:

Will you use a proper line-ending in your final line, either a "\n"
or a "\r\n"?  Ending it with a single "\r" caused me a lot of
confusion today.

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du