Ronald Dettloff signpreach at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Oct 12 17:37:21 UTC 2011

Wow, thanks, and God bless you. This is a great tool.

R. H.  Dettloff

________________________________
From: Steve Slevinski <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Advanced searching for symbols and their approximate locations

Hi Val,

On 10/12/11 11:48 AM, Valerie Sutton wrote:

Can we say now, that the "Search by Symbols" feature in SignPuddle 1.6, allows us to:

>1. search for all the signs that use a specific SignWriting symbol in SignMaker entries (dictionary entries) and SignText entries (literature entries)
>

>2. search for combinations of symbols
>

>3. search for symbols combined with location
>

>4. search for exact SignSpellings

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

If this is all true, then we can finally say that searches can be conducted on SignWriting literature documents, which is what linguists have been asking for, for years -
Yes, we can say that real search is possible with SignWriting documents.

In 2004, there was a paper presented at Lisbon by Antonio Carlos da
    Rocha Costa, Gracaliz Pereira Dimuro, and Juliano Baldez de
    Freitas.  The paper was titled "A SIGN MATCHING TECHNIQUE TO SUPPORT
    SEARCHES IN SIGN LANGUAGE TEXTS".
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs3/sw0204-Sign-Processing-Brazil.pdf

Although, not an implementation of their design, the advanced search
    now available in SignPuddle addresses the same issues.

Guylhem Aznar discussed this same issue.  He called the slight
    symbol positioning differences between signs "Intra-personal
    variation".  He correctly states that:

Such near-imperceptible variations in the fine positioning are due to the human manual positioning of the symbols. It is nearly impossible for two SW signs, even while using the same set of symbols, to share the exact position for every symbol on the sign canvas : the relative position of the symbols to the center of the sign changes.

He suggested that these variations should be prevented.  I've gone the opposite way and embraced the existence of slight variations.  The signs in SignPuddle Online demonstrate the variability of the SignWriting script.  The advanced searching of SignPuddle show that these variations are not a problem.

I would like to announce this to the Sign Language Linguist LIst (SLLING) because there are several linguists who have requested this feature before...

Yes, please do.  I am very proud of the new search, both in terms of flexibility and speed.

But I also understand that the "Search by Symbol Frequency" feature does not search on literature in SignText yet - it is only the "Search by Symbols" feature that can do that so far, is that right?

So far, symbol frequency does not include sign texts.  The option will be available soon.

Regards,
-Steve