New version of the ISWA 2010 SVG Refinement is ready

Tue Sep 20 14:48:37 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
September 20, 2011

Hello Adam and Steve!
Congratulations to you both. You are a team and without both of your "tireless" efforts we would not have such a lovely version of SVG in SignPuddle's ColumnMaker right now!

I am preparing some instruction for our users, to learn how to change your documents from the PNG Standard to the SVG Refinement fonts, to see if the SVG is helpful to your publications - Steve just posted the SVG Refinement font so I myself have not learned yet, how it looks when we print a document - I am looking forward to exploring what this accomplishment means for all of us -

And Adam, you did work tirelessly, for three months, every day during the summer of 2011, and also for several years earlier... I know because you were here in my home doing the work! So I saw the painstaking dot-by-dot-png images become smooth SVG images - and then I asked you to re-do some of them to a thinner line - and that was no small task -

I also want to acknowledge Machado from Brazil for his original and first full SVG font for SignWriting, that was done for the IMWA 2004. Thank you, Machado, for paving the way. And now Adam and Steve have done the same for the ISWA 2010. I plan to write a history of the SVG development, when I can - It is an impressive job all around -

SVG is not TrueType - Stefan and Steve Parkhurst and Michael Everson have created beautiful TrueType fonts for SignWriting that are so wonderful, and we need TrueType too. But SVG can help create new TrueType fonts for the future, and in some ways, gives the same look, because now the Facial Circles are smoother with both SVG and TrueType.

As Adam knows, I am a caregiver here in my home for my parents and I need to help them with breakfast, but later today I will tell you all how to use the SVG we have in SignPuddle now - I am testing it in Microsoft Word and other documents -

Have a great day everyone!

Val ;-)

--------