New version of the ISWA 2010 SVG Refinement is ready

Alan Post alanpost at SUNFLOWERRIVER.ORG
Tue Sep 20 05:35:00 UTC 2011

I'll share my experience working with the SVG fonts, in case it is
useful.

My target document is pdf, and I use TeX and LaTeX as my typesetting
system.  That system works exclusively with Encapsulated Postscript,
(eps), which like SVG is a vector graphics format.

ImageMagick, which IIRC is used by SWIS, includes a utility,
convert, that translates images between formats.  While it will,
technically, translate between SVG and EPS, it does so by converting
the SVG to a raster image and then converting that raster image to
EPS: you lose all of the benefit of having the graphic in SVG, it is
just as if you had a PNG image!

There is another tool called Inkscape that I used to convert the SVG
graphics to EPS.  This tool preserves the vector information present
in the SVG, giving me a scallable EPS file from the SVG file.  If
you need to do something similar, you'll get better results using
Inkscape!

Another problem I run into is that I fit each SVG image into a box in
my document.  Some symbols are wider than they are tall, some
symbols are taller than they are wide.  To get consistent formatting
results, I store a flag in my database saying whether the image is
portrait or landscape, and render it appropriately so everything
looks nice in the document.[1]

Finally, some symbols really should be rendered smaller than the box
I allocate for them.  If I'm rendering the letteral 'A' and the sign
for afraid, the 'A' looks wrong being so large.  I'm more-or-less
scaling on a case-by-case basis, though I would love a suggestion on
how I might render two symbols with different scaling factors such
that they appear at the same relative size:  I would love to render
'C' then 'cup' and have the C-hand be the same size in each image,
by way of an example.  In traditional typesetting, this would be
something like a constant x-height.

I was amazed to look at my first SVG document.  I was getting
aliasing and artifacting with even regular-sized documents with PNG
images, and now I'm producing poster-quality documents that look
really sharp.

-Alan

1: I imagine one could ask the SVG image whether it is a portrait or
   landscape image.  I haven't explored this yet.

--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du