right and left hands are scattered throughout the Symbol Palettes

Fri Sep 16 23:05:46 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
September 16, 2011

> On Sep 16, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
>> Thank you Valerie for your excellent explanation. As long as glyphs are understood as approximations and that for some the rotations and reflections may be interpreted in opposite fashion, then we have a working system.

Hello Charles, Stefan, Adam and everyone -
Let me add some diagrams to show some unusual examples....The ISWA 2010 Symbol Palettes (with 96 hand positions), are just rotations and flops, and right and left hands are defined by the writer. So this means that right and left hands are scattered throughout the grid of 96 symbols...depending on a variety of choices...

Here is an example of one version of the sign for MONEY in ASL... Look how the right hand symbol is located way down low on the Symbol Palette (where you would not expect it ;-)... No matter where the symbol is located on the Palette, the writer can define whether it is a right or left hand...