Position symbols

Tue Apr 3 15:06:35 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
April 3, 2012

The Parkhursts book is incorrect. They have taught the symbols incorrectly. I didn't realize this until today. Thank you for pointing this error out to me… Of course the Parkhurst's books are beautiful, and they are good friends. I will write to them.

These symbols are old symbols that I developed long before I ever met the Parkhursts. Maybe we can put a correction in the book…it is just the opposite to what they taught.

Here is the correct page:

Surface Symbols
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less028.html

So please follow this web page above for the correct symbols

You see, the double line represents the Wall Plane. The single line represents the Floor Plane. So you think of the Front  Wall, and the little bubble is "in front of the wall", or "behind the wall"… and you think of the FLoor Plane which is a single line, and then the bubble represents above the Floor Plane or below the Floor Plane…single lines are always the Floor Plane, just as in Movement Arrows…this is consistent with Movement Arrows...

So Adam was just explaining the way the symbols were invented - Adam's explanation is the correct one, following my teaching...

Val ;-)

--------