Surface Symbols...symbol "on top of" /BON APPETIT/

Thu Apr 5 17:06:41 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
April 5, 2012

Hi Arthaey -
Yes, I guess you could say that. The term "phonetic" or "phonemic", or "cheretic" and "cheremic" developed by Dr. Stokoe, or "detailed" and "simplified", are used by different people. I am not sure what term is correct, but it is true that writing systems, and even beginners who are just learning to write, tend to start writing more detail than is really necessary, until it is determined what can be eliminated without hurting the sign…over time people become used to reading the signs and they starting writing in a more simplified manner … But there will always be some researchers who need a phonetic writing system, like the IPA, too…so two different focuses and needs...

Val ;-)

--------