AW: CASE SENSITIVE IN SIGNPUDDLE

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 30 14:57:14 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
August 30, 2012

Hello everyone, and Steve -

Yes, Steve is right. I remember having a long discussion with Steve about the problem before the new SignPuddle 2 was posted, and Steve struggled trying to resolve the problem. So of course it is not the way any of us want it. It is because Steve migrated the SignWriting data to XML…which has its great advantages for searching the SignWriting symbols. It was a surprise that the spoken language was affected by this migration, and resolving the problem is complicated. It can be done, but it has to wait because of another very urgent project that is in midstream … the ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs.

We have had a major breakthrough, thanks to Steve's brilliant programming, with the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin. Steve has made it possible for us to post Wikipedia articles written in SignWriting using the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin, without the need for Unicode. It is in a test stage, and Steve is still developing the software further, to include a way to write directly in SignWriting with SignText and SignMaker, directly on the Wikipedia site - so Steve is focusing on completing this test project, which we have wanted for over four years, before he goes back to fix SignPuddle.

So it is my request that Steve finish the work on the ASL Wikipedia, because the future Wikipedias in written sign languages mean so much for the future of all SignWriting. Someday there will be Wikipedias in many sign languages, such as LIBRAS and I hope DGS too (smile) and right now the Wikimedia Foundation has been very generous to us, helping us, and we want to work with the Wikimedia Foundation to get approval for a future Wikipedia.

So the Case Sensitive problem will be fixed in 2013…

Meanwhile I have much to tell you all and look forward to answering all of your wonderful messages -

Val ;-)