Macintosh features for Deaf-Blind and Universal Access

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Aug 31 21:13:53 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
August 31, 2012

Hi Maria -

There is nothing new. SignWriting is not different for the blind. Andre is a teacher and researcher, in French-Canada, who is using SignWriting with his Deaf students. I assume most of Andre's students can see, but Andre has limited sight. But he does have some sight. That is why Andre's emails are large yellow type, so he can see the yellow on black letters on his screen…

So back when Andre used a Windows computer, Steve was kind enough to create a Blind User Interface for SignPuddle, which anyone can change over to, so that for people who cannot see well and have a Windows computer, they can still see the icons and symbols of SignWriting because everything reverses…

I always wanted Andre to get a Macintosh because the Mac has a way to get the entire computer to reverse its screen so Andre can see everything reversed, without us developing a special UI for people who need to reverse their screen on Windows - but we will keep the special UI for others -

So SignWriting isn't any different for Andre than for normally signed people- he just needs special feature of black becomes white and white becomes black - like the old SignWriter DOS screen is -

To access the different User Interfaces (UIs) go to:

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=0&sgn=0

or in your own SignPuddle, scroll down and click on this icon:

Val ;-)

------