Smart font for ISWA 2010

Wed Dec 5 20:23:41 UTC 2012

Hi Eduardo,

Regarding your first problem, there are 2 possible solutions.

On 12/5/12 9:11 AM, Eduardo TrĂ¡pani wrote:
> Problems
> --------
> * There seems to be a maximum number of glyphs for a font inside Firefox
> (I've only tested Linux).  For me it was around 32500, and that is not
> enought for a full ISWA graphite font.  I haven't had time to debug that
> yet.  So, building a full ISWA font is possible, but it wouldn't work
> right now.  Also, adding more symbols means adding more classes to the
> graphite program, but that seems to be less of a problem.

The first possible solution is to drop category 6.  This solution would
be fine for everyday regular use.  Would it be enough?

A second solution can be adapted from Jonathan Duncan's font
minification.  He was able to reduce the SQLite font from 27 MB to just
under 10 MB for the SVG Refinement.

I have included information about Jonathan Duncan's font work on the
ISWA 2010 Font Reference.  Near the bottom, "Derivative ISWA 2010 Fonts".
http://signpuddle.net/iswa

The main links are on the bottom of his SignWriter Studio download page
in a fonts section:
http://www.signwriterstudio.com/download.htm

This solution requires an additional level of symbol encoding.  Each
symbol is analyzed for repeating shapes and pieces.  Each symbol is
described as a 2-dimensional construct of pieces.  The Cartesian
coordinates used to place the symbols are used to translate the
coordinates of the individual pieces.

> * Graphite internally only deals with glyphs, so for SW we need a glyph
> for each one of the symbols and their alternate forms (fill and
> rotation) *and* for things like numbers, rotations, fills and the like.
>   Sharing glyphs should work and would save some space but  Graphite does
> not deal with those shared glyphs consistently, so, for now I've decided
> to create a new glyph for each unicode point that needs to be dealt with.

I've heard that Cartesian coordinates are not a basic Graphite concept.
Makes sense, but we use them everywhere regardless. Thanks for the font
and graphite analysis.

About the links, number 7 gives me a "403 Forbidden" error.  A screen
capture would be appreciated too.
> [7] http://mapache.unesco.org.uy/sw/Main_page_2.html

Regards,
-Steve