AW: Facial expressions

Wed Dec 5 17:24:40 UTC 2012

Hi Adam and friends,

well it should be not a big problem to imagine a person „pronouncing“ a word
that starts with the letter „m“  -

If the person opens the mouth in order to go forward with an open “A” ....

Obviously my students have no problem whatsoever to associate these defined
SW-facial-mouth-symbols with a typical mouthmovemen that goes along with
pronouncing a word – without a need to hear any sound.

So what I did was to define a given set of symbols that would allow you to
lipread ... in order to minimize the guessing game . ..

In the beginning of my time as a SignWriting scribe (years ago..;-)) ) I
almost came to the point to give up. My students and me had to accept that
we were not able to understand/read/translate  our SW-DOS-documents a few
days later after we had written  them. And it took some time to understand
the reason. At that time we have had almost emotional and heated debates
about this issue. Is it political correct to accept that some signers –
include Mundbilder – while they perform SL- ???

I am not interested in this discussion. I looked at hundreds of SL-videos
and looked very carefully waht deaf signers do when they sign.

And of course you have simply to learn some of the meanings of these defined
Mundbild-symbols. But once you find your way to understand they are a big
support.

I am happy to see that Fernando Capovilla took advantage out of this idea...

O capítulo 26 intitula-se Recursos metalinguísticos na educação bilíngue

Libras-Português do surdo: Como ler-escrever a articulação visível dos
sinais de

Libras via SignWriting e a das palavras faladas do Português via
SpeechWriting

promovendo leitura orofacial e leitura-escrita alfabéticas, e é de autoria
de

Fernando C. Capovilla, Valerie Sutton, e Stefan Wöhrmann. O capítulo
apresenta

os dois sistemas de escrita: o de sinais SignWriting (Capovilla & Sutton,
2009) e o

da fala SpeechWriting (Capovilla, Sutton, & Wöhmann, 2012). Classifica esses

sistemas como tipos de alfabeto de traços não arbitrários (featural
alphabet, cf.

Geoffrey Sampson, 1990), ou seja, alfabeto em que as formas das letras não
são

arbitrárias, mas representam traços fonológicos dos fonemas que representam.

Argumenta que SignWriting e SpeechWriting são semelhantes ao Alfabeto
Fonético

Internacional (AFI): Assim como o AFI permite tra...

http://www.ip.usp.br/lance/Livros/transtornos2/Apres_TRANSTORNOS_260_fim_2.p
df

All best

Stefan